I’m not sure that anyone loves pizza as much as my husband does. Two years ago, when we discovered how bad wheat/flour/carbs were making him feel, we quickly had to come up with a back up plan. Maybe he couldn’t eat bread but no pizza? That wouldn’t be possible. I found a few low carb crusts and, over the past year or so, we perfected the recipe to what has now become how go-to pizza crust recipe.
While the crust can be baked to be a regular pizza, we also discovered that it can be cooked in a waffle maker. I find the waffles delicious, simply dipped in marinara sauce. Jeff loves to make waffle pizzas out of it.
We’ve made so many versions of this pizza…here are a few of our favorites:
BBQ Sauce, Steak and Shrimp:
Pepperoni and Broccoli:
Pumpkin Purée, Prosciutto and Pumpkin Seeds:
Spinach Pizza Crust
- 4 oz of fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of almond meal
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Toppings as desired
- In a food processor with the S blade attachment, blend all the ingredients. A blender could also be used to create a thinner dough/batter.
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper over a cookie sheet or pizza dish.
- The batter won’t be firm like a dough but rather thin. Ladle the batter onto the parchment paper and use a spatula to spread it out into the crust shape you want.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is firm and starts to brown on the sides.
- Add your toppings and put the pizza back in the oven until the toppings are cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Alternative: to make into waffles: heat the waffle maker, ladle batter onto the iron, spread the batter over the surface, close the lid and cook like a regular waffle.
This pizza crust is great. It is low carb and gluten free, if this is something you care about. It is packed with protein (eggs, cheese, almonds) and vitamins (yay spinach!). The main flavor coming out of it is the parmesan, which goes perfectly with most pizza toppings.
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
1 thought on “A Versatile Spinach Pizza Crust”