Saying I love pasta is very much an understatement. A friend and I will come up with any excuses under the sun to visit our favorite fresh pasta restaurant. The fresh pasta thing might make you feel like I have high standards, but really, I love Kraft Dinner Mac ‘n Cheese just as much.
When I found Brie on clearance at our grocery store, I decided to finally try something that had felt like a huge splurge until then. Brie mac ‘n cheese. I also wanted to add in some of my favorite vegetables: peas, mushroom and spinach.
Brie Macaroni with Vegetables
- 1 Brie wheel, rind removed
- 8 oz of mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups of sweet peas, frozen or fresh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
- Béchamel sauce (find my simple recipe here)
- Pasta of your choice, cooked and drained
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, over medium heat, put the oil or butter. Add the garlic and the mushroom for approximately 5 minutes. Stir regularly. Add the peas, give a good stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, make the béchamel sauce.
- Pour the béchamel sauce on the vegetables and stir.
- Add the Brie, in chunks. Stir in the sauce.
- Add the spinach and stir again.
- Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta.
- Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or use in meal prep.
Pasta is my weakness and I always need to make sure I eat it only once in a while. To stay somewhat reasonable, I made enough cheesy sauce for 4 servings but only made two meals with macaroni. I made the other half on spiralized butternut squash.