After seeing someone post on Instagram about the grocery-free challenge, I decided to give it a shot. I figured this would be a chance to save a bit of money as well as a way to get rid of some of the food we have accumulated in the pantry, fridge and freezer.
Throughout the week, I used the following items…
From the fridge: Milk, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, ranch dressing, romaine hearts, Brussel sprouts, kale, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, yellow onion, cucumber, minced garlic, red curry paste, apples and fresh basil.
From the pantry: Ready rice, maple bacon cookie mix, vanilla granola, coconut milk, artichoke hearts, coffee beans, applesauce.
From the freezer: Frozen peas, ahi tuna, chicken breasts, Ikea vegetable balls.
The meals I planned were as followed:
- Greek yogurt with granola
- Coffee with milk
- Improvised curry on rice: chicken breast, coconut milk, fresh basil, red curry paste, onion, kale, peas, minced garlic, salt & pepper
- Applesauce for dessert
- Monday-Tuesday: Tuna steak with Brussel sprouts
- Wednesday-Thursday: Salad with vegetable balls: romaine lettuce, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, ranch dressing
- Maple bacon cookies for dessert
- Carrot sticks
- Cherry tomatoes
While I started this as a silly fun challenge, it ended up being a great way to use up some of the food I tend to hoard. It was also an interesting creative challenge to see what I could come up with, without being able to buy extra ingredients. This is certainly something I will try to do again in the future. A recurring blog series, maybe? We shall see…
1 thought on “A Grocery-Free Week!”
Great idea for a challenge! Will have to try this.